Our New Home
In September of 2008, Pittsburgh Opera moved into its new home at 2425 Liberty Avenue in the Strip District. The building not only has a deep connection to Pittsburgh’s storied past – it was built as George Westinghouse’s original air brake factory in 1869 – but gives Pittsburgh Opera a bright new future.
At 45,000 square feet, the $8 million project (acquired for $2.5 million, with an additional $3.5 million put into renovations) features offices, 4,000 square feet of rehearsal spaces, costume, wig, and makeup shops, and a kitchen, meeting the “multimedia” requirements of opera. The renovation resulted in Silver-level LEED certification in the Operations and Maintenance category in June 2011, and incorporates the site’s exposed brick interiors, 150 historically-accurate windows and original metal fire safes.
Pittsburgh Opera announced its Capital Campaign in March 2009 with the news that $7.1 million had already been raised during the quiet phase of the campaign. Raising a total of $9.2 million, the campaign exceeded the initial goal. Limited naming opportunities are available: contact John Federico, Director of Development, at 412-281-0912, x248.
Pittsburgh Opera’s building was designed by IKM. A new wrap-around metal, neon, and LEED sign was designed by Bill Kolano. Contractor is Massaro Corporation.
Click on a thumbnail below for a larger view.