Pittsburgh Opera holds auditions for principal roles, chorus, orchestra, supernumeraries, and the Pittsburgh Opera’s Resident Artist Training Program on a regular basis.
Trouble (Sorrow) in Madama Butterfly:
Pittsburgh Opera is holding auditions for a child to play the role of a 3-year old boy, Trouble (Sorrow), in its October production of Madama Butterfly. This is a nonspeaking role. Both boys and girls are encouraged to audition.
While the score calls for a 3-year old, we often cast a small 5 year old. Children must be able to follow simple directions. Children must be small enough that they can be carried by Butterfly while she is singing.
Auditions will be held Saturday, September 15th at 4pm at Pittsburgh Opera Headquarters in the Strip District. (2425 Liberty Avenue) Rehearsal and Performance schedule is listed below.
Please respond to Tara Kovach, Director of Production, if you are interested in
participating in the audition by email or phone, 412-281-0912 ext. 221.
Rehearsal and Performance Schedule:
- September 18: 5-6pm: in Room A at Pittsburgh Opera Headquarters
- September 22: 2-5pm: in Room A
- September 24: 2:30-5:30pm: in Room A
- September 26: 7-10pm: in Room A
- September 27: 7-10pm: in Room A
- September 28: 2:30-5:30pm: Review as needed in Room A & 7-10pm Final Run through in Room A
- October 1: TBD: Review Trouble Scenes in Room A
- October 2: 7*-11pm: Madama Butterfly Piano Dress Rehearsal Benedum Stage *Make-up call TBD
- October 3: 7*-11pm: Madama Butterfly Piano Dress Rehearsal Benedum Stage *Make-up call TBD
- October 4: 7*-11pm: Madama Butterfly Piano Final Dress Rehearsal Benedum Stage *Make-up call TBD
- October 6: 8*-11pm: Madama Butterfly Performance #1 Cast Party: TBD *Make-up call TBD
- October 9: 7*-10pm: Madama Butterfly Performance #2 *Make-up call TBD
- October 12: 7:30*-10:30pm: Madama Butterfly Performance #3 *Make-up call TBD
- October 14: 2*-5pm: Madama Butterfly Performance #4 *Make-up call TBD
Audition date: Sunday, November 4, 2018
Application deadline: Friday, October 12, 2018
The Pittsburgh Opera Orchestra performs in up to 4 main stage productions per season, plus 2 smaller-venue productions. A typical production is 9 services: 5 rehearsals and 4 performances.
The successful candidate will be offered a contract for La bohème.
- First rehearsal March 20, 2019
- Final performance April 7,2019
Musicians of the Pittsburgh Opera Orchestra are members of the A. F. of M. Local 60-471
The current service rates for Main Stage productions, for the 2018-19 Pittsburgh Opera Season are:
Pittsburgh Opera currently contributes an amount equal to 6.54% on behalf of each musician to the A.F.M. pension fund.
To apply, please submit your one-page resume via email by Friday, October 12, 2018 to Robert Boldin, Artistic Administrator. Subject line: TROMBONE II
Applicants chosen to audition will notified by Friday, October 19, 2018 and will be required to submit a refundable audition deposit of $50.00 (by Friday, October 26, 2018) to hold an audition spot.
Audition Location: Pittsburgh Opera Headquarters at 2425 Liberty Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222.
Auditions are by invitation only and Pittsburgh Opera reserves the right not to invite any candidate who does not meet the highest professional standards.
There are currently no auditions at this time. Stay tuned for auditions in Spring 2019.
Pittsburgh Opera conducts general auditions every December in New York City and by appointment in Pittsburgh. These auditions are not associated with any future repertoire, but are for general purposes only.
To be considered for an audition, send a cover letter, resume, photo and/or recording via US Mail or e-mail to:
William J. Powers, Director of Administration and Artistic Operations
2425 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222.
We regret that we are not able to audition all who submit materials and only selected applicants will be contacted for auditions.
Applications are accepted from both represented and non-represented singers.
Pittsburgh Opera Resident Artists
Auditions for Pittsburgh Opera’s Resident Artist Training Program are held annually in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and New York City.
See additional information about Pittsburgh Opera’s Resident Artist Training Program, including audition information.