A typical day at the office?
The 2018 Diamond Horseshoe Ball.
Photo by Andrew Stein, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Pittsburgh Opera is currently seeking a Director of Production. See details below.
Pittsburgh Opera is not currently seeking paid interns at this time.
Lean about becoming one of our Student Ambassadors, below.
Pittsburgh Opera is seeking a full-time Director of Production to oversee the company’s main stage productions, Resident Artist Program productions, outreach events, special events and any other events that require production support. The Director of Production is a member of the senior management team and is responsible for researching, recommending, budgeting and managing each production within the company’s season in coordination with the General Director and the Managing Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for recommending, engaging and managing necessary technical personnel for productions and the Production Department including stage managers, assistant stage managers, designers, costume and wardrobe, personnel, props, wigs, make-up, supernumeraries, supertitles, stage hands and any other technical personnel as required.
- Develops production calendars and timelines for each production and determines time, labor and material requirements for each production.
- Responsible for negotiating set and costume rentals for all productions and acquiring bids for new productions.
- Consults and guides visiting production teams regarding facilities, resources and timelines for each production.
- Attends all lighting sessions, technical rehearsals, and performances.
- Serves as liaison with the Benedum Center and other venues regarding production matters.
- Maintains Pittsburgh Opera production rental catalogue and establishes rental rates and conditions.
- Is responsible to the Director of Artistic Operations for creating budgets, managing expenses for the department and ensuring that expenses remain within established budgets.
- Collaborates with other senior managers and Pittsburgh Opera staff to provide support for outreach events, fundraising activities and special events presented at the company’s headquarters.
- Assists in the negotiating of union agreements and managing relationships with various unions with which Pittsburgh Opera has agreements.
- Undergraduate degree in music preferred, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as Director of Production, Production Manager, or related production experience in opera.
- Experience in supervisory duties
- Excellent team working skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent computer skills with MS Office and project management programs.
- Demonstrated ability to budget and prepare new productions.
- Experience working with union crews and collective bargaining agreements.
- Commitment to the mission of Pittsburgh Opera
- Ability to lift and carry material weighing 25-50 pounds
The position is full-time, exempt. Salary is commensurate with experience and demonstrated skills, and includes health benefits. The Pittsburgh Opera is a tax exempt 501(c)(3) and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please contact Kristin Gatch via email.
The Pittsburgh Opera Internship Program seeks mutually beneficial relationships with individual interns who are interested in opera, whether from an artistic or an organizational perspective. Each intern will be provided with opportunities to be creative, to accomplish real-life work that furthers the mission of Pittsburgh Opera, and to develop personally and professionally. In return, Pittsburgh Opera will receive valuable assistance that contributes significantly to the organization’s goals.
Internships run at various times throughout the year and are available in several areas, including development, artistic, production, and education.
To apply for an internship, please send a letter of intent, resume, and a letter of reference from an academic advisor to:
Kristin Gatch, Executive Assistant
2425 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
No phone calls, please.
Become a Student Ambassador!
Now is a perfect time to become a Student Ambassador, spreading the word about Pittsburgh Opera and enjoying exclusive benefits! Established by five intrepid women in 1939, Pittsburgh Opera is viewed as one of the most vibrant opera organizations in the U.S., with a rich artistic tradition, outstanding educational programs, and a progressive outlook toward the future that we want you to be a part of.
Even if you don’t know much about opera (yet!), if you’re outgoing and enthusiastic then we’d love to work with you. For those interested in a career in arts marketing or education, becoming a Student Ambassador is great opportunity to gain firsthand experience while enhancing your resume. Student Ambassadors will be asked to hang posters on campus and to be a presence at campus fairs/events. Most importantly, we want to hear YOUR ideas about how best to share Pittsburgh Opera with your fellow students.
As a Pittsburgh Opera Student Ambassador, you’ll receive:
- Complimentary tickets to Opening Night of each of our Benedum Center productions
- Free admission to our Opera Up Close programs, which offer an in-depth look at the upcoming production with the artists that make them happen
- Networking opportunities with your fellow Student Ambassadors and arts professionals.
Please contact us via email letting us know why you would make a great Ambassador and an example of how you’d like to promote the opera on campus. We look forward to hearing from you!