March 13, 2020
It is with great sadness that Pittsburgh Opera announces the cancellation of all performances of Carmen, and all public events through April 5.
The cancelled events are:
- 'Opera Up Close' which had been scheduled for Sunday, March 15
- The FRIENDS of Pittsburgh Opera Speaker Series event on Sunday, March 22nd
- All Carmen performances at the Benedum Center, including our annual Student Matinee. The performances were scheduled for March 28 and 31, and April 3 and 5. The Student Matinee was scheduled for April 2nd.
- All related events before/after each Carmen performance, such as our Pre-Opera Talks and our Meet The Artists event which had been scheduled for after the conclusion of the March 31 performance.
- The Saturday, April 4th Brown Bag concert at Pittsburgh Opera Headquarters
The decision to cancel these events was not made lightly.
In light of all available information about the Coronavirus pandemic, recommendations from health experts and public officials, similar decisions made by other organizations, and guided by the principle that the safety and well-being of our patrons, artists, and staff is our number one priority, we felt we had no other choice.
At this time all Carmen ticketholders may:
- Exchange their tickets free of charge to the performance of their choice of Norma, April 25 – May 3 at the Benedum. Ticketholders will receive comparable or better seats than they had for Carmen.
- Exchange their tickets free of charge for a credit for comparable or better tickets to the performance of their choice of any opera in our upcoming 2020-21 season, which includes:
- To help the organization through this difficult economic time, consider their ticket a donation to Pittsburgh Opera.
- Receive a refund for the full price of their ticket.
All ticketholders can submit this online form to select their preference.
Individual patrons and subscribers wishing to discuss these options with a Pittsburgh Opera representative should contact Pittsburgh Opera Manager of Audience Services Mark Marston at 412-281-0912 ext. 216, or email email@example.com. Group Ticket holders should call Pittsburgh Opera Group Sales Manager Regina Connolly at 412-281-0912 ext. 213, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you call, please be patient as we deal with a higher-than-normal call volume. We will respond to all phone calls and emails as promptly as possible.
As you can imagine, making the decision to cancel performances has a significant financial impact on our company. We are asking our loyal patrons to stand by us through this unprecedented situation.
We look forward to returning to normal operations, and sharing our art with the community, as soon as possible. We sincerely thank you for your continued patronage and support.