April 4, 2017
Chris Cox, Director of Marketing and Communications
Office: 412.281.0912 ext. 217
Mobile: 412.427.7088 or
Contact via email
Download this as a PDF
Pittsburgh Opera to be Pittsburgh Proud at Maecenas gala
Pittsburgh Opera hosts "one of the most anticipated events of the year", the 33rd annual Maecenas Gala, on Saturday, May 13th at Pittsburgh Opera headquarters.
Maecenas XXXIII’s theme is “Pittsburgh Proud.” Pittsburgh Opera will be honoring a cross-section of great Pittsburghers, who represent some of the many important industries and facets of our wonderful city. Honorees include:
- Maecenas Honoree in Entertainment - Daya. The GRAMMY Award (Best Dance Recording – “Don’t Let Me Down” with The Chainsmokers) winner is the youngest honoree on Forbes’ 30 Under 30 list and debuted at #5 on Billboard’s “21 under 21” list. Daya’s first single “Hide Away” is double platinum-certified and notched a Top 10 spot on Billboard’s Pop Songs. “Sit Still, Look Pretty” is platinum-certified and spent 24 weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.
- Maecenas Honoree in Healthcare - Dr. Arthur S. Levine, Senior Vice Chancellor for the Health Sciences, John and Gertrude Petersen Dean, School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Levine has been instrumental in fostering the University’s remarkable research trajectory, with it being consistently among the national leaders in NIH research funding.
- Maecenas Honoree in Technology - Dr. Andrew W. Moore, Dean, Carnegie Mellon University School of Computer Science. Dr. Moore took a leave of absence from CMU to open the Pittsburgh office of Google Inc., growing it from a staff of two to 275 employees in East Liberty’s Bakery Square development. He then returned to CMU’s School of Computer Science as Dean in 2014. The School is one of just four in the country to earn a perfect 5.0 score from US News & World Report, along with MIT, Stanford, and Cal Berkeley.
- Maecenas Honoree in Energy- David Porges, retiring CEO of EQT. Mr. Porges oversaw EQT’s transformation from a local natural gas utility company into a national exploration and production company. EQT’s stock price has grown ten-fold since Mr. Porges became its CFO in 1998.
- Maecenas Honoree in Public Service - Doris Carson Williams, President and CEO of the African American Chamber of Commerce of Western Pennsylvania and Board Member of the Highmark Foundation. Ms. Williams, who opened the Chamber’s office in 1998, has grown it from 28 members to over 500 paid members and sponsors.
"We are thrilled to assemble such a wide range of Pittsburgh Rock Stars!” says renowned ophthalmologist Dr. Lisa Cibik, who is president and partner of AIO and medical director of Associates Surgery Centers (ASC), and along with daughter Alexandra Good is chairing the event. “These honorees have created the evolution that has made Pittsburgh what it is today. From its proud industrial heritage and dynamic civic leadership, it has become an international force in energy, technology, and medicine. We are Pittsburgh Proud of our Maecenas honorees!”
The evening’s décor is being designed by LUXE/Creative Director Martin Potoczny. Bob Sendall of All in Good Taste Productions will cater a fabulous dinner. Entertainment will include a special performance by Pittsburgh Opera Resident Artists, as well as the Pete Hewlett Group.
The event’s namesake Gaius Maecenas was friend to the first Emperor of Rome, and a celebrated patron to such artists as Horace and Virgil. Today his name is synonymous with ‘patron of the arts.’ Maecenas XXXIII raises crucial funds which allow Pittsburgh Opera to keep live opera productions and educational programs financially accessible to all audiences, while training the next generation of great American singers.
“Pittsburgh has a diverse and thriving arts scene, and I am a firm believer that it is our city's cultural amenities that truly help to distinguish it.” says co-chair Alexandra Good, an attorney at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP who was recently named to WHIRL Magazine’s ‘13 under 30’ list. “As it is undeniably a cultural gem, I am honored to support the Pittsburgh Opera.” she continued.
Sponsorship information is available on Pittsburgh Opera’s website. Tables of six start at $5,000, and can be reserved at pittsburghopera.org/MaecenasRSVP. Inquiries may be directed to Pittsburgh Opera Manager of Special Events Rebecca Fink at 412-281-0912 ext. 225.