August 30, 2018
Download as a PDF
From free concerts to a black-tie gala, Pittsburgh Opera offers a bit of everything this September
Pittsburgh Opera kicks off its 80th anniversary season this September with a wide range of concerts, performances and other events.
WQED-FM Pittsburgh Opera broadcasts (free):
- Tosca - September 1 – Puccini’s ultimate melodrama, set in Rome in the year 1800
- The Marriage of Figaro – September 8 – Mozart’s comic triumph
- The Long Walk – September 15 – the true story of a US military officer’s post-deployment struggle to adapt to his home life
- Savage Winter – September 22 - formerly called Ashes & Snow, world-premiere Savage Winter is a modern interpretation of the poem-cycle which inspired Franz Schubert’s haunting Winterreise.
- Moby-Dick – September 29 – Herman Melville’s tale of blood and obsession on the high seas
Season Kickoff Brunch - Sunday, September 9, 12:30PM, Fox Chapel Golf Club
Rising Stars Concert (free)- Sunday, September 16, 6:00 - 8:00 PM, Pittsburgh Opera Headquarters
Market Square Farmer’s Market Concerts (free) - Thursday, September 20 and Thursday, September 27, 11:30 AM – 1PM
Diamond Heist: the 64th Annual Diamond Horseshoe Ball - Saturday, September 22, 6:30 PM, Omni William Penn Hotel, Downtown Pittsburgh
Opera Up Close: Madama Butterfly - Sunday, September 23, 2:00 - 3:30pm, Pittsburgh Opera Headquarters
Madama Butterfly - Preview on WQED-FM 89.3 and WQED.ORG (free), Saturday, September 29, 12:00 PM - 12:30 PM