Pittsburgh Opera to broadcast world premiere opera In a Grove free on YouTube May 15th
Ambrose Raines (Andrew Turner), Leona Raines (Madeline Ehlinger), and The Outlaw Luther Harlow (Yazid Gray). Photo by David Bachman Photography.
Pittsburgh Opera will broadcast a video recording of its world premiere of Christopher Cerrone and Stephanie Fleischmann’s In a Grove in its entirety, for free, on YouTube Sunday, May 15th at 7:00pm.
On one level a murder mystery, on another level a searing investigation into the nature of truth and limits of perception, In a Grove’s story revolves around trying to determine who killed a young husband in the woods of the Pacific Northwest.
Audiences and critics raved about the sold-out performances:
- “Rarely does a new opera emerge so perfectly formed, let alone presented in a production as musically and visually stunning” – Classical Voice North America
- “A Revelation of Sound and Sight” – Pittsburgh Quarterly
- “Alluringly and Dramatically Hypnotic” – The Wall Street Journal
- “In a Grove is Outstanding” – Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
- “Epic…an opera that will linger long in my memory” – Opera News (May 2022 print edition)
- “The only thing that counts is the question of whether I would recommend In a Grove to adventurous opera lovers, and the answer would be ‘yes’.” – onStage Pittsburgh
“Countless people, both those who attended the performances and those who were unable to, have pleaded with us to release In a Grove on video”, said Pittsburgh Opera General Director Christopher Hahn. “Our generous funders enabled us to record the performances, and we are delighted to make this amazing opera available to a much wider audience.”
People can register online to receive email reminders and a link to the Premiere. The video will remain available for viewing throughout the summer.