The rose elf
Words and music by David Hertzberg, based on the fairy tale "The Elf of the Rose" by Hans Christian Andersen • Jan. 22, 25, 28, 30, 2022
A carefree Elf witnesses a despicable crime. Forever changed, he resolves to give closure to the victim’s Beloved.
Based on the fairy tale by Hans Christian Andersen, The Rose Elf takes you to a world where a tiny elf lives happily and contently in the protective petals of a beautiful rose. When the flower closes one night before the Elf returns home, the Elf seeks shelter in some nearby honeysuckle.
There, the Elf overhears the Girl and her Beloved exchange tender goodbyes, as the Beloved prepares for a lengthy journey. After the Beloved embarks, the Elf watches in horror as the Brother brutally murders the Beloved and buries him beneath a linden tree.
The Elf whispers the truth to the Girl while she sleeps, leaving her a leaf from the linden tree to convince her that his message was not a dream. When she awakens, the Girl pursues the terrible truth, even though it could destroy her.
Join us for the Pittsburgh premiere of David Hertzberg’s hauntingly beautiful opera The Rose Elf. The New Yorker says its music “blooms with warmth and depth”, and OperaWire praises Hertzberg as “masterful at using a minimal number of instrumentalists to create gargantuan sound.”
Developed through Opera Philadelphia’s Double Exposure program in 2016 and 2018, The Rose Elf premiered on June 6, 2018 in the catacombs of Green-Wood Cemetery in Brooklyn, in a production by R.B. Schlather. These will be its second-ever performances.
The Rose Elf is sponsored in part by a gift from Peter S. Greer.
The Artistic Team
Words and music by David Hertzberg, based on the fairy tale The Elf of the Rose by Hans Christian Andersen
Sung in English with English texts projected above the stage
Four performances at the George R. White Opera Studio, Bitz Opera Factory, 2425 Liberty Avenue. These will be the first performances by Pittsburgh Opera.
We want you to have the best experience possible at our performances!
- Run time: 1hr (approx.)
- Understand Every Word: The Rose Elf is sung in English, and has English supertitles projected above the stage at all performances
- Download the Program Book (TBA)
- Download the study guide
- Pre-Opera Talks (TBA)
- Audio Description (TBA)
- Braille Programs (TBA)
- Large-Print Programs (TBA)
- Children must be ages 6 and up. Suggestions and tips for bringing children to the opera may be found at pittsburghopera.org/FAQ.
- All children must have a ticket. There is a 50% discount for kids and teens ages 6-18.
- Children who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the time of these performances must have COVID test results as detailed at pittsburghopera.org/COVID. Guests under 12, and guests younger than 18 without a photo ID, must be accompanied by an adult who meets the requirements at pittsburghopera.org/COVID.