Pittsburgh Opera holds auditions for principal roles, chorus, orchestra, supernumeraries, and the Pittsburgh Opera’s Resident Artist Training Program on a regular basis.
- Audition date: May 7, 2016
- Application deadline: April, 25 2016
- Auditions are by invitation only
2016-17 Pittsburgh Opera Season (tentative) September 28, 2016 – May 7, 2017
- The Pittsburgh Opera Orchestra performs in up to 4 main stage productions per season, plus 2 smaller-venue productions. There is an average of 9 services per production.
- The current service rates for main stage productions for the 2015-16 Pittsburgh Opera Season are $189.38/Rehearsal, $236.72/Performance.
- Pittsburgh Opera also contributes an amount equal to 6.54% on behalf of each musician to the A.F.M. pension fund.
- Musicians of the Pittsburgh Opera Orchestra are members of the A. F. of M. Local 60-471
Please submit your one-page resume via email to Robert Boldin, Manager of Artistic Administration, by April 25, 2016. Applicants will be notified as soon as possible if they’ve been granted an audition.
A refundable audition deposit of $50.00 will also be required from invited applicants. Please make payable to 'Pittsburgh Opera, Inc.', and mail to Pittsburgh Opera 2425 Liberty Ave Pittsburgh, PA 15222 ATTN: Robert Boldin.
Auditions will be held at the Pittsburgh Opera headquarters at 2425 Liberty Avenue.
Pittsburgh Opera reserves the right not to hear any candidate who does not meet the highest professional standards.
Pittsburgh Opera Chorus Auditions
Annual open chorus auditions will be held, Tuesday, May 17, 2016 from 6:30-9:30 PM.
Auditions are open to classically-trained singers in all voice categories who have completed at least one year of undergraduate vocal study or equivalent.
Auditions are by appointment only. To apply for an audition, please submit a resume via email to Robert Boldin, Manager of Artistic Administration. Applicants who are granted an audition will be notified beginning Monday, May 2, 2016. Times will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. The application process will remain open until all audition times have been filled. No phone calls please.
Auditions are held at the Pittsburgh Opera offices - 2425 Liberty Avenue in the Strip District.
- Please prepare one selection in a foreign language (preferably Italian, French or German).
- Operatic repertoire is preferred; art song selections will also be accepted.
- Your selection must be memorized.
- An accompanist will be provided.
- Please bring music in the correct key.
- Your audition may also include sight-reading and vocalization.
Pittsburgh Opera Chorus members belong to the American Guild of Musical Artists union.
Pittsburgh Opera conducts general auditions every December in New York City and by appointment in Pittsburgh. These auditions are not associated with any future repertoire, but are for general purposes only.
To be considered for an audition, send a cover letter, resume, photo and/or recording via US Mail or e-mail to:
William J. Powers, Director of Administration and Artistic Operations
2425 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222.
We regret that we are not able to audition all who submit materials and only selected applicants will be contacted for auditions.
Applications are accepted from both represented and non-represented singers.
Pittsburgh Opera Resident Artists
Auditions for Pittsburgh Opera’s Resident Artist Training Program are held annually in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, and New York City.
See additional information about Pittsburgh Opera’s Resident Artist Training Program, including audition information.