Music by Tobias Picker; Libretto by J.D. McClatchy • *Rescheduled for the 2021-2022 season!* January 22, 25, 28, 30, 2022
Inspired by a heart-wrenching true story, Emmeline is the tale of a young Maine teenager sent to work in a Massachusetts textile mill in the 1820s to provide for her family. The mill owner’s son-in-law, who is also the factory supervisor, seduces and impregnates her. Emmeline is fired, and forced to give her illegitimate child up for adoption before she even sees it or learns whether it’s a boy or a girl.
Twenty years later, while caring for her elderly parents back in Maine, Emmeline falls in love with and marries a mysterious young stranger, Matthew Gurney. They realize too late that Matthew is Emmeline’s long-lost son. Matthew abandons Emmeline and skips town. Emmeline, though completely ostracized, steadfastly refuses to leave her home town, and lives as an outcast the rest of her life.
A powerful story of betrayal and perseverance, Emmeline evokes both empathy and admiration.
Click play below or download these excerpts for an offline treat!
- “Funeral Procession” - performed by the Santa Fe Opera Orchestra
- “I’ve never seen my face before” - sung by Patricia Racette as Emmeline
- “Like a wood in Ireland” - sung by Victor Ledbetter as Maguire and Patricia Racette as Emmeline
- “Sing, Damn You, Sing” - performed by Wright Moore as Hooker, and members of the Santa Fe Opera Apprentice Program as the girls
- “Have they arrived?” - Anne-Marie Owens as Aunt Hannah and Patricia Racette as Emmeline
- “I Know Nothing” - sung by Patricia Racette as Emmeline and Gregory Keil as Simon Fenton
- “Matthew! If you love me” - sung by Patricia Racette as Emmeline and Curt Peterson as Matthew Gurney
- “Emmeline! Is it true?” - sung by Curt Peterson as Matthew and Patricia Racette as Emmeline
- “Sinner, abomination, whore” - sung by Herbert Perry as Pastor Avery and Patricia Racette as Emmeline
We want you to have the best experience possible at our performances!
- Approximate Run time ~ 2 hours with one intermission
- Download our Study Guide (available late 2020/early 2021)
- Understand Every Word: Emmeline is sung in English with English supertitles projected above the stage at all performances
- Parking Downtown: get real-time parking availability
- Pre-Opera Talks before each performance
- Audio Description available
- Braille Programs available
- Large-Print Programs available