Learn About Opera!
Opera is a multi-faceted art form, rich in fascinating history and colorful personalities. There is always something more to learn about opera, and Pittsburgh Opera provides a wide variety of programs to help you explore individual operas and the field in general.
Education Programs at Pittsburgh Opera translate this multi-disciplinary art form into relevant, engaging, and enriching experiences for educators, students, schools, families, and adults. Pittsburgh Opera’s Education programs were recognized as a finalist at the 2019 International Opera Awards. We were the only opera company from the United States among the finalists. We invite you to join us to learn more.
Our world, our work, and our personal lives have been upended and changed during the 2020 pandemic but here are some certainties:
- We all need art in our lives.
- Kids need arts education to balance and enrich their learning experiences.
- During the 2020-2021 season, the Pittsburgh Opera Education Department is planning to deliver virtually a full season of re-designed opera education programs.
- Livestreamed performances for Students
- MS and HS Career Connections Program
- Opera Trunks with Interactive Opera Improv Presentations: Carmen, Madama Butterfly, and Opera Improv Trunks
- Audio Commentary at Tuesday performances
- Individual Opera Study Guides
- Watch a video showing two makeup transformations in time-lapse GIGAPAN photography
For more information about Pittsburgh Opera’s Education Programs, please email
Marilyn Michalka Egan, Ph.D., Director of Education.
Please note: Most programs require registration in advance. During the 2020-2021 season, all education programs are being delivered virtually.
Pittsburgh Opera programs are generously supported by Allegheny Regional Assets District, Pennsylvania Council on the Arts, and the EQT Foundation.
About The EQT Foundation: The EQT Foundation is the philanthropic arm of EQT Corporation, and is committed to the social and economic vitality of its operating regions. For more than a decade, the EQT Foundation has made a difference by supporting local programs and initiatives that involve education, community and economic development, diversity, the arts, and the environment. Together with a variety of non-profit organizations, the EQT Foundation develops strong partnerships that enrich our communities, sustain the principles of continuous learning and understanding, and focus on environmental protection efforts.