By Giacomo Puccini • March 25, 28, 31 & April 2, 2017
Let Pittsburgh Opera take you to ancient China with our lavish production of Puccini’s Turandot. Prince Calaf falls in love with the icy Princess Turandot. To marry her, he must solve three riddles; a single wrong answer results in death.
Be dazzled by the sets and costumes! Be blown away by Calaf’s powerful aria "Nessun dorma"! Be moved by Liù’s selfless devotion! Marvel at Puccini’s masterful music! See why Turandot is an all-time favorite.
Renaud Doucet directs. Antony Walker conducts.
Individual tickets are now on sale. You can buy single tickets now or purchase them as part of a subscription.
Season sponsor: PNC. Tuesday performance sponsor: Ambridge Regional Distribution and Manufacturing Center.
Prince Calaf (Thiago Arancam) stuns Princess Turandot (Alexandra Loutsion) by correctly answering her third and final riddle, thereby earning the right to marry her.
See more Pittsburgh Opera videos on our YouTube channel!
Prince Calaf (Thiago Arancam) will not be dissuaded from banging the giant gong which announces his intention to try to solve Princess Turandot (Alexandra Loutsion)'s three riddles, even though he will die if he answers any incorrectly.
Prince Calaf (Thiago Arancam) is happy and confident that Princess Turandot (Alexandra Loutsion) will not be able to learn his name by sunrise, which means that she will marry him.
Princess Turandot (Alexandra Loutsion) speaks of her ancestor, Princess Lou-Ling, who inspired Turandot's iciness towards men.
**Alexandra Loutsion: Princess Turandot
+Thiago Arancam: Prince Calaf
Maria Luigia Borsi: Liù
+Wei Wu: Timur
Joseph Frank: Emperor Altoum
**Craig Verm: Ping
+Julius Ahn: Pang
+Joseph Hu: Pong
*Andy Berry: Mandarin
Samantha DeStefano - Handmaiden
Meghan Dewald - Handmaiden
Conductor - Antony Walker
Production Stage Director/Choreographer - Renaud Doucet
Stage Director - Kathleen Stakenas
Set Designer - Andre Barbe
Lighting Designer - Guy Simard
Asst. Conductor - Glenn Lewis
Chorus Master - Mark Trawka
Associate Coach/Pianist - James Lesniak
Wig & Make-up Designer - James Geier
Asst Choreographer - Roxanne Foster
Stage Manager - Cindy Knight
Asst Stage Director - Frances Rabalais*
Asst Lighting Designer - Todd Nonn
Asst Stage Manager - Stephanie Boyd Canada
Asst Stage Manager - Attitra Lelehuta
+ Pittsburgh Opera debut
* Pittsburgh Opera Resident Artist
** Pittsburgh Opera Resident Artist alumni
Set in ancient China, Turandot is an all-time favorite - a lavish production full of dazzling sets and costumes. The opera's story involves Prince Calaf, who falls in love with the icy Princess Turandot, played by Alexandra Loutsion.
To obtain permission to marry Turandot, a suitor has to solve three riddles; a single wrong answer results in death. Prince Calaf is dazzled by Turandot's beauty and wants to attempt to solve her three riddles. His father Timur, and Timur’s servant Liù- who is secretly in love with the Prince- plead with him in vain not to attempt the riddles.
Calaf correctly solves the riddles, but Turandot still refuses to marry him. Calaf offers her a way out: learn his name before dawn, and he will die after all. Believing that no one will reveal his name, the Prince waits for dawn and anticipates his victory, singing his famous aria "Nessun dorma".
Turandot realizes that Liù knows Calaf’s name, and attempts to torture it out of her. Liù withstands the torturing, declares that she will not reveal his name, then seizes a dagger from a soldier's belt and stabs herself.
The Prince reproaches Turandot for her cruelty, then takes her in his arms and kisses her. Turandot feels herself falling for him and is conflicted. She admits that, ever since he came, she has both hated and loved him. She asks him to leave, taking his secret name with him. The Prince however, reveals his name and places his life in Turandot's hands. Ultimately, she realizes she loves him too, and spares his life. The lovers embrace while the crowd rejoices.
We want you to have the best experience possible at our performances!
Here are some details and resources to help. Also visit our Opera FAQs or our Accessibility page.
- Run time: 2 hours, 45 minutes, including two intermissions
- Understand Every Word: Sung in Italian with English supertitles projected above the stage at all performances
- Study Guide for Turandot (PDF), created by our Education department
- Parking Downtown: get real-time parking availability
- Pre-Opera Talks before each performance
- Audio Description available at The Benedum Center
- Braille Programs available at The Benedum Center
- Large-Print Programs available at The Benedum Center
- Pittsburgh Magazine: March: Best of Culture in Pittsburgh
- KDKA: Pittsburgh Opera Presents ‘Turandot’
- OperaGene: Popular Turandot: Sensuous Music and Stunning Visual Pleasure
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Review: Soprano Loutsion shines in Pittsburgh Opera's spectacle-filled 'Turandot'
- Pittsburgh in the Round: Turandot Review
- KDKA: Kidsburgh: Pittsburgh Youth Chorus Singer Returns As Opera Star
- Entertainment Schedule Pittsburgh: April Theater Guide: History on Parade
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh: Riddle Me This
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Soprano seeks to explore Turandot's softer side in Pittsburgh Opera production
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Hot list of events for March 23-26
- 'Burgh Vivant: ALEXANDRA LOUTSION – Soprano, Pittsburgh Opera
- TribLive: Alexandra Loutsion comes home for her first title role — in 'Turandot'
- BroadwayWorld: Photo Flash: First Look at Pittsburgh Opera's TURANDOT
- Washington Observer-Reporter: Chartiers-Houston graduate stars in ‘Turandot’
- Pittsburgh City-Paper: Short List: March 23-29
- Pittsburgh Owl Scribe: "Turandot" - A Blockbuster Opera to Dazzle Benedum Stage
Benedum Center Safety & Security statement and Bag Policy
The Pittsburgh Cultural Trust has implemented new security and bag policies, effective starting October 1, 2016, at the Benedum Center and their other venues.
You can read their Safety & Security statement, which includes an updated list of prohibited items, and read their Bag Policy, on their website.