February 1, 2016
Chris Cox, Director of Marketing and Communications
Office: 412.281.0912 ext. 217
Mobile: 412.427.7088 or
Pittsburgh Opera continues its 77th season with the Pittsburgh premiere of Ricky Ian Gordon’s 27.
Spotlighting larger than life novelist, poet, playwright, and Pittsburgh native Gertrude Stein and her partner Alice B. Toklas, 27 will delight you with Ricky Ian Gordon's "tuneful score" and Royce Vavrek's "quick-witted libretto."
27 is a humorous and touching snapshot of the women's shared lives at 27 Rue de Fleurus in Paris in the early 1900s, featuring their famous salon and its visitors, including Picasso, Matisse, Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and others.
On stage February 20, 23, 26 & 28 at Pittsburgh Opera Headquarters, most tickets for 27 are $40.
Where: Pittsburgh Opera Headquarters, 2425 Liberty Avenue in the Strip District
- Saturday, February 20th, 2016, 8:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 23rd, 7:00 p.m.
- Friday, February 26th, 7:30 p.m.
- Sunday, February 28th, 2:00 p.m.
Run Time: 95 minutes; 27 does not have an intermission
Language: Sung in English with texts projected above the stage
Media are welcome to attend and take photographs at all these events;
- Photo call - Monday, Feb. 8th - location TBA
- Full Dress Rehearsal - Thursday, Feb. 18th - 6:30 - 9:30 PM at Pittsburgh Opera headquarters
- Meet the composer and librettist - Saturday, Feb. 20th 7:00 - 7:30 PM at Pittsburgh Opera headquarters
If you are unable to attend but would like photographs to use in previews, reviews, etc., please contact Chris Cox at:
Office: 412.281.0912 ext. 217
- Brown Bag Concert (2/6)
- WQED Preview (2/13 & 2/19)
- Opera Up Close (2/14)
- Sensory Workshop for patrons with visual impairments (2/14)
- Meet the Composer and Librettist (2/20)
- Meet the Artists (2/23)
- Audio Commentary (2/23)
Most tickets to 27 are $40
- Buy tickets online
- Order by phone at 412-456-6666
- Group discounts are available. For discounted group tickets (6 or more), contact Randy Adams at 412-281-0912, x 213
- While the opera premiered on June 14, 2014, at Opera Theatre of St. Louis, Pittsburgh Opera will be performing a new production of 27. This will be the first time 27 has been performed since its premiere.
- Gertrude Stein was born in Allegheny, Pennsylvania (now part of Pittsburgh), in 1874. She moved to Paris with her brother Leo in 1903, where she began collecting art, writing, and hosting Saturday evening salons frequented by famous painters, writers, and other notables of the day.
- Stein met her life partner Alice Toklas on Toklas's first day in Paris. The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas was actually written by Stein in Toklas’s voice, and became Stein’s first best-seller.
Full information on 27's cast and creative team can be found on 27's landing page.
27 takes place in Gertrude Stein and Alice Toklas’ apartment at 27 Rue de Fleurus in Paris, spanning pre-World War I to post-World War II.
A synopsis of the plot can be found on 27's landing page.